The Four Basic Rules of Gun Safety:
1) Treat all guns as if they are loaded.
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
4) Always be sure of your target and what is beyond.
More on Gun Safety…
In addition to the four basic rules above, always follow these gun safety rules:
- Know how to operate your firearm. Read the owners manual and become familiar with how the gun operates before using it.
- Wear eye and ear protection while shooting.
- Use only the correct ammunition for your gun. Nearly all guns have the ammunition type stamped on the slide assembly or barrel. Certain types of ammunition can look very similar to each other, so always make sure the ammunition you are using is the correct type.
- Keep guns out of reach of anyone who is not sufficiently trained in their use and gun safety. This may involve a locked cabinet, gun safe or other means of security, especially if you have young children in the home.
Properly maintain your firearms. Guns require regular maintenance. Keep them clean and functioning properly. If you are uncertain about the condition and operability of a gun, take it to an experienced gunsmith to have it checked out.
For more on gun safety, visit the National Rifle Association.